Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Shape of Your Life

The first time I read Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, I didn't quite get it. Pretty writing, but I was too busy having babies and not having enough money to be moved by musings on seashells. A decade later, I read it again. I understood the deep thoughts, but her experiences were in no way analogous to anything I could experience. I mean, this wife and mother is able to vacation alone at the beach? Working overtime in a gray business world and fielding demands of family/home left me no energy to even dream about a sabbatical. I was stuck--with more important things to read.

I read the book a third time a few years ago. Somehow I felt I should try again.


Ohhhhhhh..... now I get it. This is a day in my life. What will I do with it?


Wandering the sands of a Florida beach recently, I was able to find quiet, feel blessed....gifted. And I felt very small, in a good way. Part of a network of life and habitat so vast, that even a busy modern suburban woman like myself could find herself almost alone on an unspoiled span of shoreline, no boat in sight, only two pelicans and a hundred million seashells all around.

I recalled an excerpt from the book, and a recent past when I couldn't even bear to examine the question Lindbergh posed here:

But his shell – it is simple; it is bare, it is beautiful... Its shape, swelling like a pear in the center, winds in a gentle spiral to the pointed apex....Each whorl, each faint knob, each criss-cross vein in its egg-shell texture, is as clearly defined as on the day of creation.

My shell is not like this, I think. How untidy it has become! Blurred with moss, knobby with barnacles, its shape is hardly recognizable any more. Sure, it had a shape once. It has a shape still in my mind.
What is the shape of my life?

For much of my adult life, I was shaping some other life than the one I really wanted to be living. So many of us know better, but we still lose sight of true priorities and make unauthentic choices. When we take an honest look at the shape of our lives, many of us feel unsatisfied. Are you ready to re-shape? Re-consider?

I was. I wanted to intentionally shape a life I could comfortably, truly, happily live in each day--and not wait for someday. I wanted to be well-shaped, in body, mind, heart and spirit. I found gaps between what I was doing and what I was wanting. Some of them were big, some small...but the more I closed the gaps, the clearer I saw the shape of my life. And I'm still working on that shape, with pleasure.

What is the shape of your life?

When I ask this question, I don't mean what is the shape of your thighs, the shape of your pantry, the shape of your party plans, or even the shape of your finances. I mean, how well are you living? I know for sure that answer is up to each of us, regardless of circumstance of life or fate. I have to tell you: you shape your life.

You shape it in as many ways as there are seashells on the beach. The size, scope, inspiration for, relevance of, purpose... you have choices, and those choices are a gift from the universe. Accept them. They aren't complex!

You can choose to Eat Well. Move Well. Play Well. Rest Well. Learn Well. Grow Well.

These ideas will guide this, our shared "Wellness Lifestyle", weekly. Please visit each week and share this page with as many others as you can. Please comment and share your thoughts. The better we all feel and the more we enjoy what we choose for our lives, the happier and more peaceful this world will be. You'll see. I promise.

Anais Nin said: "We don't see things as they are--we see them as we are."

Start Well: Right now, close your eyes and take a deep inhale through your nose. As you exhale, blow away tensions and negative thoughts, especially about yourself. Stand up. Roll your shoulders, neck and stretch your arms and back. Smile. Why not? It's your choice. You are shaping this moment in your life. So, relax a bit. Get some air in. Step outside if you can. Own this moment, it's yours. Nod with me. We are starting well.

7 comments:

  1. Faith,

    I love this new blog and love the subject even more. As I was reading your first post, I couldn't help but think about the book "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. The book starts out with Elizabeth realizing that she had been making inauthentic choices for life and the consequence of doing so was a "shape" she no longer recognized when she looked in the mirror. The rest of the book unfolds as she set out on a journey to figure out what made her happy and how SHE wanted to shape her life, as opposed to what society or others wanted for her! The path she chose might seem strange to some or even a bit dramatic, but it worked for her. She is living life authentically. We all need to find our own path.

    Also, I love the book "Gift From the Sea." It took several readings for me to get it, as well. I was first introduced to it by a Philosophy Professor of mine that thought I would enjoy it. I thought he was giving me way too much credit. I tried to read it the first time without much success. It's definitely a book that you need to let soak into your soul.

    I've spent a great deal of my life trying to figure out the shape I wanted my life to take and am pretty happy with my results thus far. I look forward to sharing this journey with others and learning about their experiences!

    Thanks for sharing this blog with us!!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new healthy blaby blog.

    It needs some good recipes for crab to make it perfect. ;)

    My life is the shape of a negg. They are a bit more nobbly than eggs.

    Damon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really pondered the fact that i can shape my life with any real intention... I've pretty much just gone along like a duck in a river... letting it sweep me along with it, with an occational paddle against the current. Turning 50 recently (and facing a major scare in my daughter's life), however, was a huge wake up call to me... my life was probably more than 1/2 over... yeeowsah!

    I feel like i'm just waking up to my real life... i can't really even explain it... but i know i'm not all that happy with the way it is right now. There are plenty of good things, but there could be so much more.

    Thanks for the uplifting words, Faith. I find i need to be reminded often of the fact that i can actually shape things and not just float along...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, thank you for allowing my writing into your life at a time that it can remind you of how to be well when you're "waking up to your real life" as you say. I remember feeling that way so strongly once, years ago after a school reunion. We had seen so many people we used to enjoy and had so much in common with when we were younger, less busy. I thought, why do we just let things and people we care about pass right by...why don't we stick with the basic good feelings inside us, when they really do make us so happy? I tearfully told a close friend, "I feel like I'm not leading my life, instead my life is leading me."

    It wasn't too many years later that I started seeking more authenticity in my days, a lifestyle that reflected more of my essence. I'm still working on it; suppose I always will be. Buyt, that is ME LEADING my life, so I feel good about it. I'm always learning, staying flexible. You know, I'm kinda bendy that way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dame, take some lump crab meat and mix it with minced hot chilis (to taste), lime juice, fresh chopped cilantro (chinese parsley, chopped scallion, a dash of olive oil and some cubes of avocado. A quick ceviche like treat that you can eat on anything from fried wontons to a warm corn tortilla or even on top of a napa cabbage salad where you chiffonade the cabbage and toss it with a bit of lime, rice vinegar, oil and sesame seeds.

    Your negg-shaped life is no doubt due in part to your somewhat larger ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jillian, you are so correct in your thinking about choosing paths, being authentic... really, it's knowing AND accepting yourself. Perhaps that's because you've been so thoughtful with your own existence, learning how heal and shape your own days. And there you have been, helping so many others, shining a warm light on all they can find for themselves, in the process.

    There is no way for us to know how many people you have inspired, just via the studio alone. I'm grateful every year you are still here and not in a beach house, though I will relish the day when you can make that vision grow into itself, too. Because you know I'm coming to visit for the weekend and we're making those limeade margaritas and not doing our hundreds.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Faith

    Just found your blog again :).
    I need time to sit and read through your blogs, deep thoughts.....keep writing!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete