Monday, April 6, 2009

The Daily K.I.S.S.

Just about everyone knows the K.I.S.S. theory: Keep It Super Simple.

When you keep things very simple, they do have a nice way of working out. Simply. Some examples. Be mindful of only the current idea you are trying to express--for example, if in disagreement, don't bring up the past. Instead only focus on the matter at hand.

Do one thing at a time.

Send a brief note of thanks.

Breathe in slow and deep and close your eyes. Relax a moment when you're notice you're tense.

Super simple. In a complex world of health and science information, food and fitness news, love and life coaching, I would suggest each of us employ the K.I.S.S. theory at least once a day. For our own sakes. Longevity is drastically reduced by stress, confusion, frustration, exhaustion and a number of other states of mind we allow into our days. How about we add a couple of days to our lives by super simplifying a few of the basics--eat, move, rest--once a day for a week? Or a month... I am hoping it will become a habit of my lifetime, actually.

I started today by brewing organic coffee with fresh water and drinking a cup plain, with no additives in it. I tasted the oils from the fresh ground coffee beans and I needed the ten minutes to start my day with nothing but that. Plain coffee and a quiet wake up moment. (Then I had homemade granola, for those who know I believe you need to eat breakfast!)

Each day, if you'd like to join me, I think we should try to eat or drink something that is just the thing that it is, nothing more. Instead of my easy instant lemonade, perhaps I'll squeeze a lemon in cool water and add some sugar. Or maybe, I'll just eat an apple, whole. I RARELY just sit down to enjoy a crunchy juicy apple and I'm already looking forward to it. Let's make sure each day, we take note of a non-labeled and non-fortified something or another as we ingest it. Something new, fresh and plain. Simple.

Each day, I think we should try to do something that is just the thing that it is, nothing more. We should walk in the fresh air and listen for birds and have no lists or planning thoughts in our heads. Or we should stretch, or we should water the plants and only focus on them, or put on music and just listen to the music. Not clean to it or type to it, but simply listen and appreciate it. That sounds super.

Each day, we should rest. On purpose for a few moments, knowing we are resting for the sole purpose of resting. Pause. There are great things in the pauses. Like a quiet mind, and the steady beating of your own heart, or the rain on the rooftop. Keep it with you, this resting moment. It can serve to remind the rest of your moments what a really great one feels like.

Wellness feels like this, and looks like this, and acts like this. I started by trying to de-complexify the blog about the intelligent book about the omnivore's dilemma and I ran into a dilemma of my own. I wasn't feeling as balanced as I should when writing about wellness.

So I stepped back, had plain hot coffee, started my day, and I wound up here. K.I.S.S. works...try it and let me know how it goes for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment