Monday, October 19, 2009

Odds & Ends of Wellness

Being Well is such a Big Topic.

So often little bits of useful information pass through my day like flashes of Wellness Lifestyle light, and then they are gone. The fact is, I can't put them all to use, and I can't keep track of them all, either. Not on purpose, anyway.

Fortunately, they usually end up being there in my catacombs for random reference when needed at some point in the future, though I didn't know it. I didn't know I knew that but I did is what I often think to myself when that happens. And now I know why I knew it...because someone else was going to need me to know.

I like how that happens.

For today, though, I've got a little pile on my desk I'd like to tackle. These are some of those little bits I thought I'd get around to, but haven't yet. Tips, information and so forth, in no particular order, and just because I think we should pass this stuff around. Never know what will be there for you when you need it, even though you didn't know you would.

Better still, you might need it now, and how cool is that? Here it is, then:

Hibiscus tea has recently been found to lower blood pressure. I like this Tazo brand tea called Passion, very much. I know it has hibsicus flowers in it. It's chili fall weather now, so I think I'll stock up. No need to add anything to this cup, it is so delicious straight and hot. Makes your lips a little reddish purple though. And some people are allergic to hibiscus and don't realize it's in a lot of herbal teas. So if you get itchy or rashy after drinking such a tea, check the label. But if you can tolerate it, go for it. I know I will be.

Blood pressure is one of the high risk healthy measures that you CAN do something about. You need to drink more than tea if you have high blood pressure, but hey, every little bit can help. And if you don't have high blood pressure, there's lots of other good-for-you stuff in the tea, too. So enjoy!

Fruits and Veggies add to your muscle mass retention as you get older. It comes from the potassium, apparently, and the alkaline residue which may help preserve muscle. Muscle loss is a natural part of the aging process. You can combat it with a simple healthy diet containing lots of fruits and veggies, regular exercise (as simple as walking outdoors, but the more resistance you add the better, so keep moving!), and a simple multi-vitamin every day for insurance. Keeping your muscle mass goes a long way toward keeping your youthful verve and appearance.

Sex. Okay I know I gotcha already. I used to be in marketing, remember? And sex still sells. For women, it can be a touchy subject. Taboos and hormones and gender conflicts, etc. But it's still an important topic. One recent study showed women between 19 and 50 ranked a healthy sex life as a higher priority than career satisfaction, home ownership and travel! But there is also a 70% rate of sexual issues reported along with that, including lowered desire, pain during intercourse, and more.

So check it out. Get down to business with your sexy self and get some advice or information to help you keep it a priority at sexandahealthieryou.org. You'll see a headline or two about dealing with stress to help your sex life. It's interesting and helpful to note that men often find stress relief from sexual activity, but women are often stressed about sexual activity. Venus and Mars, I guess. Just make sure you enjoy it when your planets align every so often. It part of being well.

Sugar and Spice. If you have a sweet tooth, and you want to control it for your health without feeling deprived, swapping for lighter sweets is a great option. Using mashed bananas or applesauce in recipes, for example, lets you have yummy things like sweet muffins and breads, with less sugar and more health benefits.

Another suggestion: add spice to your sweets. Spices like ginger and cinnamon help your senses of smell and taste divert from the sweetness of foods. For example, ginger snaps and cinnamon coffee cake can fake it as low-sugar items better than a chocolate chip cookies or coconut cream pie. Plus, there are great natural antioxidants to be found in spices. A teaspoon of cinnamon contains as many antioxidants as a half cup of blueberries. Here's a nifty website from McCormick that gives you ideas for supporting your wellness with the variety of spice: www. spicesforhealth.com

Thanks for letting me clear my little pile of shiny tidbits of information. I hope one of them makes a difference in your day. Even if all you need to do is pass it on!

1 comment:

  1. Passion Tea is my absolute FAVE tea...realizing there was hibiscus in it, i tried lots of other hibiscus teas as well...but none of them even comes close to the yummy goodness that is Tazo Passion.

    ReplyDelete