Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Students Taking Charge

I just learned of this organization/effort because a local high school student contacted me to inquire if I might be interested in contributing to the wellness project she was heading up at her school.

http://www.studentstakingcharge.org/

WELL, of course I am interested! I'll be teaching 6 weeks of after school Yogilates classes for the kids, at nominal fee which comes from the grant that supports the project. The students will be able to attend the classes for free. I'll give them my best work and they will hopefully find wellness in return. I'm really proud to be a part of the program, I just adore the idea of grass roots efforts at the local level, and this is one which is run by volunteers who are really making a difference in the health of our nation and this young generation. All this hullaballoo and debate and tiiiimmmmmeee spent with the giant health care reform animal in Washington, 2400 pages worth, and here we are able to produce a simple example of how to reform health in our own communities, right at school. I'm for reform, of course, but I can't help but praise ACTION, in action!

I want it to take off. It needs publicity, I think, so I'm posting in here. Please visit the website and consider recommending it to your local schools as a project worthy of looking into.

See you at school, soon, and thank you Tara for asking me to participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment